Less Serious, More Fun: How to Add Color to your Kitchen

Thursday, May 26, 2016

It's no secret that the kitchen is my favorite room in the home. And, like most people's, mine is also the most used. While neutrals in the kitchen are classic and ever-popular, color can be such a small but powerful way to bring vibrancy into the space. Innovative home appliance company, Big Chill, recently contacted me about sharing ways to use a bold color, such as turquoise, to make this most beloved room sing.

Many people make home design decisions out of fear. I - admittedly - am one. I have talked myself out of more than one choice in favor of something "safer." But now that I'm in my 30's I'm finally growing up - ha - and I say what matters most is that YOU love the space. So go with your gut.  Push yourself a little and don't be so serious.

Ok, so now that I'm done being bossy, LOOK at this amazing kitchen and that gray/blue tile backsplash.

Ivory Kitchen Cabinets with Gray Walker Zanger Mosaic Tiles
source


This kitchen is totally my style - with a few minor tweaks. For example, I'd prob trade all that silver/stainless in the cabinet pulls for brass. And I'd love to change the stainless range to a colorful gas stove from Big Chill like this one:

White - Satin Nickel
source

Want something a bit more punchy? I found this fabulous cement tile in this striking turquoise color. I'd style it similarly to the kitchen above but keep the appliances all white and maybe add some wood open shelves to add earthiness.

Tile Grouping - Traditional Malaga Cement Tile 8" x 8"
source

Ok guys. A moment. This hood. Let's chat...

Matte Black Brushed Brass
source 

This just might be my FAVORITE OF ALL TIME.
So - little known fact - I'm a hood rat. Er, something like that. I hold hard and fast to the idea that range hoods are of of the most important - and least discussed - kitchen design elements. I have major aversion to most of the dinky hoods on the market. I am not a fan of the super modern hoods that usually are glass or stainless and tend to leave a lot of unsightly negative space on the wall.

I tend to favor styles like this that are big, commanding, and almost look like cabinetry. And that brass bar across the bottom - get out. This particular one comes in multiple colors!!
It is not exaggeration to say I've spent years looking for this range hood.
-heart emojis ad nauseam -

off soapbox

5
source

This blue range and white cabinet combination is everything. Still classic and sophisticated without taking itself too seriously. Totally dig it.

Rustic French Kitchen. French kitchen with wood plank ceiling over a barn board kitchen island topped with a white marble countertop framing a hammered copper prep sink and brushed brass faucet. #FrenchKitchen Dearborn Builders
source

While a little on the country side for me - this kitchen still has all the right elements - from the turquoise subway tile backsplash to the fantastic range and hood - swoon.



KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer | Williams-Sonoma http://rstyle.me/n/ufbqen2bn:
source

If you're not ready to make that much of a color commitment, add fun touches with smaller appliances like this mixer. I own this one btw and it's my bff.

You can also add more vibrancy with fun tea towels, oven mitts, rugs, art, or utensils. I mean that's honestly where most of us land right? Like we can't all afford to rip out our kitchen - but we can start small and intentionally no matter our budget.

Color adds so much energy and life to spaces. Let's stop being afraid of using it in the kitchen and instead choose to have a little more fun. Matter of fact - let's make that our motto for life. Less serious - more joy. Yep, I'm in.

For more information on retro or colored appliances and inspiration, check out Big Chill. Or follow them on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest.

Have a great day, friends.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground