White to Bright: Entryway Style Board

Monday, February 9, 2015

Internet dust-bunnies.
It's totally a thing. And I have them. 
I also have real ones but who's looking.

We're making slow but somewhat steady progress on the house and I'll eventually get around to showing you.
But today I have a fun entry style board to share.
Because inspiration is good. And style boards are easier than rooms. 

I'll admit: I'm on a white walls kick right now. 
White walls, black accents, neutral wood. 
It's my jam.
I'm afraid of color. 
and commitment. 
and color is commitment soooo I stay clear of it. 

But I was challenged to take a room from white to bright using one of Chairish's gorgeous rugs as inspiration. 
Have you heard of Chairish? I hadn't either but boy I'm sure glad I know now. It's like the best estate sale you've ever found and it's all online.
Which we can all agree is amazing because you don't have to wake up super early on a weekend to battle crazies.
Dreamy for any design-lover. If you're into cool vintage/used pieces that is.
Which, uh, yea, you should be. 

White to bright?
Take a risk? Use color?
I can do this. 
Because it's on paper, er, internets. 
I can be brave on the web. 
Be brave with me, won't you?


I selected this gorgeous vintage rug. 
I love kilim. 
But my scared-brain got cold sweats with the bold pattern and COLOR.
so much scary color. red. orange. gold. green. ahhhhh!

I did it anyway. 
Listened to my gut. 
I picked this rug and made it my bestie.
So brave.
Go ahead, paint my face blue. 

Here's what I came up with for an entryway:

sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8; 9

Like the rug, I chose things I'm drawn to that I might otherwise talk myself out of.
It was a BLAST! For real.
Bravery rocks. An imaginary, unlimited budget was pretty awesome too. 

Here's the breakdown:

1. removable wall paper in this great black and white speckle. Yes, I said "removable". A non-committal's favorite words. Wallpaper doesn't have to be scary anymore. I love how it's both modern and ballsy without being crazy in-yo-face. I also love the b&w. And how it the smaller scale works with the rug. I'm seriously gonna get this wallpaper for my house. Love, love, love.

2. This crazy blue and white vase with a gold base. I love how the pattern flows as opposed to being rigid and geometric. The cobalt blue is such a fun punch of color. Also, every entry needs fresh flowers. Word to ya motha. 

3. You know what else every entry needs? A mirror. And this crazy cool one has me swooning. It has a beautiful antiqued feel without being stuffy. It's shape and finish are a nod to the vintage rug without being stiff and heavy. I love the eclair shaped columns. Yes, I said eclair. I watched The Great British Bake-Off earlier today. I see eclairs everywhere.

4. I'm obsessed with throw blankets. I think every  house should be stocked with blankets. And this one is lovely with the fringe and mint. I love me some fringe. I also think the color is a lovely contrast with the reds in the rug and helps balance those saturated, warm colors. 

5. This tribal basket is another must-have piece for any entry. I love how it marries a modern silhouette with beautiful black and white weaving. Modern and classic. Can't go wrong. Drape that mint blanket over the side, toss your shoes or an umbrella inside and it's a beautiful yet functional piece.

6. I was so drawn to the teal and terracotta on this planter. And the hope that one day I too can grow a succulent. People say those are harder to kill. People are wrong. But still, I dream. I love how the cooler blue/greens help balance the reds and oranges in the rug. Such a great contrast.

7. Agate art. Um, yes. Sign me up. The organic shapes that are somehow both natural and geometric. And all of those beautiful, rich colors. Art is a great way to experiment with color and this one is a show-stopper. I'm feeling less afraid of color, y'all. It's coming. 

8. This amazing geometric light fixture is a perfect balance to some of the more rustic and vintage aspects of the design. I love how it brings black to the ceiling in a very clean and modern way. The fixture has both a modern and vintage 70's vibe but its smooth clean lines are such beautiful contrast to the busyness of the rug.

9. This console table is a thing of dreams. When I saw it my heart fluttered. The natural wood is stunning and the detail on the legs is complete perfection. Understated yet bold, I think this piece pairs perfectly with the rug. I love everything about it. It's the perfect piece to unite the entire design: classic, rustic, chic; vintage.

Boom. Nailed it.

I really loved not worrying about my usual design fears. It was so fun. I'm thinking I might not be as afraid of color as I was before.
Maybe.

Be bold, friends. Go with what speaks to you. If you design with things you love, it'll all come together in the end.
Preaching to myself.
Word.

If you'd like to see more of what Chairish has to offer by browsing their fantastic rug collection, I've attached a link HERE.
It might be my new favorite online design shop. I almost didn't want you to know.
But I'm a giver.

Happy Tuesday, friends!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground