Flourless Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Thursday, August 22, 2013

To say I have a sweet tooth is like saying Joan Rivers has too much plastic surgery. Complete no-brainer. But I'm trying to be cautious about my sugar intake, despite the inner sugar-beast throwing one heck of a tantrum. The other day, however, I threw him a bone - disguised as a delightful pb and chocolate chip cookie.


It was a dark and stormy night. Or maybe it was just a lazy, humid one. Either way I needed chocolate and peanut butter in a bad way. I scoured the internet {ok Pinterest} and found what I hoped would be the solution: Flourless peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies.  

I think what I love most about this recipe is how easy it is. I know, I know...every recipe out there seems to claim ease only to leave you feeling profoundly duped. Been there done that. 
Not this one. The night I found it I literally had no flour in the house and wanted a one-step, one-bowl wonder. And this is just what I found.

Flourless Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe adapted from Southern Living
  • 1 cup peanut butter (I used organic creamy)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips, add more if you like it extra chocolate-y (I prefer the dark chocolate mini chips but any kind would work)
Mix first 5 ingredients together in a bowl until combined. Add chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed. Using 1 Tbsp cookie scoop, place dough on parchment-lined baking sheet (don't skip this! use foil if you don't have any PP) about 2 inches apart. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned. Let cool on cookie sheet on top of wire rack for 5 min. Remove cookies from cookie sheet to finish cooling completely on wire rack (approximately 10-15 min). 

notes: 
1) you can use crunchy pb - I did for batch 2 (of 5 #confession) - but you run the risk of peanutty bits getting a slightly burnt flavor and/or smell. I'd stick with creamy. 
2) I love dark chocolate in these cookies. I would also recommend the mini chips. I just think they distribute more evenly and they're prettier...which we can all agree does matter.
2) after you scoop the cookies I like to flatten them a little. I think it makes for a better texture.
3) speaking of texture, these cookies are a little crumbly and delicate. Be gentle and patient with them at first (something I totally stink at). And let them cool completely before you get all handsy. Remember "flourless" means these are not gonna be the texutre you're probably used to. 
4) I like to keep these cookies chilled in the fridge too. 

 



If there are any glaring errors in this post, please ignore them like a good friend. I'm falling asleep as I write this. {hashtag}exhaustion.

2 comments:

  1. Glad I'm not the only one that feels duped on some of those recipes!!! Looks yummy.........
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son has weird dietary issues but this looks like something he could actually eat! We'll have to try to make them together. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground