Retro Wednesday: Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Summertime usually means one thing in my kitchen: It's closed until fall. We usually do A LOT of outdoor grilling in the hot summer months because I can't stand heating up the house. But I broke my own rule yesterday. I usually do the prep work and D grills but since he's been working late this week and is usually exhausted by the time he gets home, I decided to give him a break by whipping up a batch of homemade spaghetti sauce - always a crowd pleaser.

My mom is Italian...like the real-deal...NOT 11th generation twice removed. I grew up on homemade sauces, ancient recipes, and knowing the difference between rigatoni and farfalle. In Texas. Baller.
As a kid, I wasn't really allowed to help much in the kitchen. It was her space and sanctuary BUT when I got married something changed. I passed the threshold and entered into the perimeter of wisdom. Woot!!




This recipe for homemade spaghetti/marinara sauce was the first one my mom handed down to me. It's delicious on it's own but it's BASIC so there's a lot of room to make it your own if you wish. which {at least in my family} is kind of the point. Every member of our family has a different sauce: some thick and chunky, some full of bone-in pork {sounds awful, tastes incredible. Real Italians hate ground beef - or so my grandpa used to say}, some full of veggies, some bold, some mild; some rich and velvety.

Needless to say, this simple recipe sent my tastebuds to a very happy, familiar place. The sauce is so flavorful and hearty but simple enough that even a novice in the kitchen can tackle it, no problem. Promise.

Any favorite recipes for summer? Does your family have recipes they pass down? Share! Prego is hungry again. ;)






1 comment:

  1. oooh I love pasta and have loved it even more since being pregnant. Off to check out your recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground