Friday Fave

Friday, March 23, 2012

I'm a crazed label-reader these days.
It all started when I was scared to death informed about all the nasty things we are eating, wearing, drinking; slathering on us.
Don't fret, I'm not a fanatic greenie, I just want to begin making smarter choices for my health and environment.
Plus, all-natural (when able) just makes sense.


I'm NOT an expert on these things. I'm just a real girl who is learning how to navigate the wild world of consumerism.
Remember when I found this article about the garbage some companies put in beauty products? It lead me to wonder what was in the soaps and washes I used in the shower.
Horror, imagine horror. I knew to read food labels, but I hadn't considered the importance of doing so with other products. Not no mo'. 

I did a little research on on old soap technique from the Castile region of Spain made using plant-based oils and, after a bit more digging, found: 

Dr. Bronner's Magic Pure Castile Soaps

Dr. Bronner's Organic Fair Trade Personal Care



I was able to find these soaps at my local Target a few weeks ago (in the Beauty section, near Burt's Bees, on the bottom shelf). But you can also order them online

To be honest, I was nervous about how these soaps would compare to my usual products. I typically use both bar and liquid soaps, so I bought one of each (Peppermint bar and Lavender liquid).
I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised. Not only do these lather up nicely, they are fresh and fragrant too. I LOVE the lavender scent. It makes me feel like I'm walking through a lavender field (sans the bees). 
I don't miss those sudsy sulfates one bit. 

I also love that they are made of USDA Organic and Certified Fair Trade ingredients.
Dr. Bronner's Castile Soaps are made from a combination of coconut, jojoba, olive and hemp oils. Yep, you can read (and understand) all the ingredients. What a novel idea!

Next time I'm going to try Rose and Tea Tree (or maybe Almond) though. Gotta find my favorite scent. 

Here's some of facts about Dr. Bronner's Castile Soaps:
  • Completely Biodegradable and Vegetable-Based
  • Made with Certified Fair Trade and Organic Oils
  • Multi-Purpose: 18-in-1 Uses
  • No Synthetic Foaming Agents, Thickeners or Preservatives
  • 100% Post-Consumer Recycled (PCR) Cylinder Bottles and Paper Labels
  • Simple, Ecological Formulations Based on Old-World Quality and Expertise
  • #1-Selling Natural Brand of Soaps in North America



If you're interested in learning more about Castile soap-making or Dr. Bronner's soaps specifically click here.

Disclaimer: I was NOT compensated in any way for my opinions. This really is one of my new favorite products and I wanted to share it with you. 


Any new products you love? Share and share alike! :)
Happy Friday!!





5 comments:

  1. No way! I've heard such great things about that company but didn't know you could get it from Target! I'm trying it now for sure. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Dr. Bronner's and you can use the castille soap for so many things. I used to use this for my body wash but I haven't been lately - I love the peppermint. Whole Foods makes their brand of castille soap but it's not near as good as Dr. Bronner's. Thanks for reminding me about this, I'll have to bust it out again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT? Garbage in beauty products as well! Seriously, I had no idea. I am so hyper aware of what I eat but I didn't even consider the stuff I wash with. Thanks for the information:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh those scents sound so good. And if they're sold at Target around here, I'll definitely have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, I need your honest opinion. After a few more days of use, are you still okay with no suds? I tried some Burts Bees stuff but just couldn't get used to the lack of suds. I'm almost out of body wash and have been wanting to try Dr. Bronner's so I'm going to trust you on this one. You haven't led me astray yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground