Fishing trip

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

One of my family's favorite places is a little-known treasure called Caddo Lake.


It's magical.
Caddo Lake and marshland lies on the TX/LA border and is Texas' only natural lake. It's surrounded by a Cypress forest covered in Spanish moss.
Note: Google "Caddo Lake" for more info and pictures. Seriously, this is in winter. You should see it in Spring/Summer. It's unbelievable.

The lake hosts alligator, bald eagles, and a slew of other wildlife, some only seen here.

It's one of the most beautiful, enchanting places I've ever seen.
Best news: it's only 40 minutes from my Dad's house.




My Dad turned 50 on Monday.
His birthday request? A family fishing trip on Caddo.


We set out from Johnson's Ranch Marina. The day was perfect...



My Dad's friend and long-time Caddo fish expert, Billy, was our guide for the day.
He was awesome. He knows EVERYTHING about the lake. 
(Plus, for my step-mom and I, he would bait our lines and remove the fish. Yes!!)



3 of my Dad's favorite things in one place: cypress trees, fish, and family.
Note: Daddy's obviously not a fashionista. I'm just glad he didn't wear his Crocs that day...that's right I said Crocs. (shivers) 



Daddy caught the biggest of the day.



I got the second.
(I look green...just noticed this.)



We ended up snagging 71 fish that day. (If you care, mostly yellow bass.)
Yep, 71. Told you Billy was good. He knows where the fish are. We threw small ones back too.



View from Johnson's Marina.



I tweeted this last picture. Good times. Crazy hair.




Later we celebrated back at the house with Grandma's Red Velvet Cake.



Yes it was as good as it looks.
I requested the recipe. Hopefully it'll make a debut here soon.



Happy Birthday Papa!




3 comments:

  1. Awww, what a fun day! Happy birthday to your dad! He might be in the running for best dressed dad....he is giving my dad a run for his money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH!! I LOVE birthdays and loved this post! Can't believe you guys caught SEVENTY ONE fish. Wow.
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you guys had a great time! 71 fish? Sheesh.

    P.S. I like your scarf!

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground