Bloggy Birthday

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Today is a big day.
Hard to believe but I published TSP's first post exactly ONE year ago today.
(If you wanna check it out click here.)



That's right, old girl survived her first year of blogging. Whew! Who woulda thought?

In honor of this monumental occasion I'm gonna share a new recipe today! (It's what I do. Happy - eat. Sad - eat.)

I found this old family cookbook a few weeks ago. Truth be told I can't remember how I acquired it...my guess is that it was stolen from my father or (gasp) grandma sometime in years past.
I really can't remember though. All I know is that no one gave it to me. Sticky fingers right here.




This cookbook was put together in the mid 80's by my great-aunts and chronicles recipes used from my great-great grandparents to the (then) current generation. Like most old family cookbooks (complete conjecture) this one is a bit austere, but what it lacks in good looks it makes up in depth of character. 

I'm absolutely LOVING taking on these old recipes (most of which require tedious amounts of deciphering which I why you haven't seen any more.)

Today's recipe is adapted from page 9 of said family cookbook. It's a cross between a peanut butter cup and rice cereal treat. Yummm.
(Might I suggest making these for a simple Valentine's treat...hint, hint. )



 



Choco-Peanut Butter Balls
Prep-time: 10 min.
Chill-time: 30 min.
Adapted from a family recipe created by Gay Pyle

Ingredients
  • 1 cup peanut butter (I used Justin's organic)
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 cups rice cereal
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
Chocolate coating
  • 2 cups chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli milk chocolate)
  • 2 squares semi-sweet chocolate (I used Baker's)
Method

Mix first 4 ingredients together using large spoon until evenly distributed. Roll into 1in balls by hand or using cookie scoop. In a double boiler (or bowl over boiling water) melt last two ingredients. Once mixture is smooth, thoroughly coat peanut butter balls into chocolate and place on wax paper lined cookie sheet. Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to set.

To store: keep refrigerated in sealed container for up to one week.



Confession: I'm not a peanut butter lover...but wow are these babies good.

The only change I might make is to use less pb next time, but that's just a personal preference.



Ok, seriously...this is my last one.



Happy Blog Birthday TSP!!

6 comments:

  1. Happy Blogiversary! Love that family cookbook! You can tell that it's been loved. These look a lot like my peanut butter balls-- crisped rice cereal and all. You're right, they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh yum. Happy birthday to your blog! My blog's birthday is next Monday, so we are practically the same age. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blogger Birthday!!! I totally pinned that recipe. Definitely going to try it (especially seeing as I am a pb lover!) I'm glad that I'm not the only one who eats when I'm happy and sad.
    -katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy blog birthday!! Thanks for sharing your recipe - they look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday The Stirring Place. Such an exciting day! I hope your blog got to taste one of those delicious balls.

    Ignore most of this comment. I need sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground