Gift Idea: Homemade Coffee-Flavored Liqueur {Frazzini}

Friday, December 9, 2011

Update: Some great friends reminded me of two things today.
1) Kahlua is a brand name {and a bit of a misnomer too since my version is made w/ vodka not rum}, and 2) They are awesome.
Due to the above truths they suggested I change the name of my recipe to "Frazzini." I had no objection. It sounded cool and gave a little homage to the man from whom the recipe came (shout out Grandpa F)...So that's what I'm doing. Goodbye old name. Hello new {much cooler} one.
Scroll down to the bottom for even more evidence of said friends' awesomeness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to breech the bounds of familial trust today.

The following recipe is my grandpa's...the Italian one. Why just reading that should inflame primal awareness of it's deliciousness.

If you're looking for a great gift idea that's inexpensive, simple, and sure to please this is it.
Look no further friends.

It's Kahlua Frazzini time!! {aka coffee-flavored liqueur}




I know I always say it, but this stuff is SO good. Growing up I remember my great-grandpa Frazzini drinking this mixed with milk and poured over ice. Yes, milk + kahlua frazzini+ ice = genius. It's now MY favorite way to enjoy the little treat too. But feel free to still use it in other cocktails and desserts aplenty.




















Don't hate. It's AMAZING. Trust me.














KAHLUA FRAZZINI {Coffee Flavored Liqueur}
Cook-time: 1 hour

Ingredients
  • 3 cups granulated sugar (see tips below)
  • 10 tsp Yuban or Taster's Choice instant coffee (brand matters)
  • 4 cups water
  • 3 cups 100 proof vodka (I prefer Skyy)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp organic honey
Instructions
  1. Bring first three ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Do NOT cover.
  2. Remove from heat and cool completely. Add final three ingredients, stir well. Place in jars/bottles for storing or gifting.
Tips:
* This recipe is pretty sweet so if you prefer less, alter the amount of sugar or use Turbinado.
* Do not buy cheap Vodka or use other brands of instant coffee. The result won't be as good. I promise.
* I bought my bottles (note: not the one shown) at World Market and they work perfectly (hinged rubber cap). One batch typically yields 2 standard bottles full...plus maybe a little more. Make sure to plan accordingly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extra treat:
Awesome friends (actually I think it was Luke) also made this incredible printable label for the batch they made and said I could use it too! Amazing no? (I need better descriptors...digression.)
Now you have no excuse not to make this stuff. Go. Now.




---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Stay thirsty my friends, stay thirsty.



10 comments:

  1. YUMMMMM! I'm pinning this and making it the second this baby gets out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing idea! I've never thought about making it! So glad you got the cookies and are enjoying them:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have to refrigerate this or can it be stored at room temp? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackatessa - great question! I'll update the recipe but they can be stored at room temp. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made this for two years now and EVERYONE loves it!! Thank you so much for the recipe, it's my most requested gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slinxie - That makes my day!! Thank you so much for letting me know. My grandpa (the one who made this recipe) just passed away so it means even more to me now. THANK YOU!!

      Delete
  6. Do you have an approximate cost for making one full batch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy! Unfortunately I do not have the approximate cost for this recipe. I believe it's relatively inexpensive though considering how much it makes. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  7. I've read recipes that use rum, and other recipes that use vodka. Which do you think yields more of a Kahlua flavor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's traditionally made with rum but my family has always used vodka so that's my personal preference. (Plus, I'm not a huge rum fan.) Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

      Delete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground