Gift Idea: Brown Sugar & Honey Scrub

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Another day, another diy project.

The wintry temps lately have done a number on my skin. As much as I love Origins...and I do, I do...I kept thinking that there had to be a way I could make my own exfoliating scrub on the cheap.
So I spent some time looking all over the web for a great recipe and though there seemed to be plenty, I decided to just give it a go w/ what I had in my pantry.

Meet Faith's Brown Sugar and Honey Body Scrub



You'll need:
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp organic honey
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil (to desired consistencey...I used about 1/4-1/2 cup)
  • I also used 1/4 cup oatmeal for this batch...I didn't like it so won't do it again.
Mix first three ingredients (I also added the oatmeal here) then add EVOO until you reach the consistency you desire. Mine was thick but still spreadable (I didn't want watery).




Tips:
  • Spray your measuring spoon with no-stick cooking spray for easy honey removal (read: no more goopy, sticky fingers.)
  • I think the oatmeal sucked up the moisture from the honey and olive oil. It didn't add much to the recipe and I won't make it with oatmeal again.
  • I found the scrub smelled faintly of EVOO so I added a tiny bit of vanilla extract to it afterwards.
  • You don't need to scrub vigorously (please don't) or leave it on for any amount of time. The sugar does the work...don't overdo it.
  • Rinse with warm water.
  • Store in jam or mason jars. If you're giving it as a gift, a little bow and homemade label printed from your home computer will go a long way.
  • Due to the lemon juice in it, please make sure you limit sun exposure afterwards and/or use a sunscreen (Yes you should. I don't care where you live.)
  • Don't use more than twice a week. It is possible to exfoliate too much.


I almost forgot...the results!

Immediately after I stirred this together I walked into my bathroom and applied a quarter size amount of the scrub to my body, getting more as needed. I gently rubbed it in using small, circular motions over my entire body. Then I rinsed it off with warm water and gently patted dry w/ a towel. (Think: Shower time.)

My skin feels awesome. I was honestly suprised at how well it worked. My skin feels fresh and moisturized. I keep touching it because it's so nice. Haha. This recipe is definitely a keeper (I would tell you if it wasn't).

Note: I initially applied this to my face and neck too but I think the brown sugar granuales are a little too large and possible damaging to the delicate skin so I wouldn't recommend using it there. On the body though, it's great.


Have you ever made your own body/face scrub?
Any tips? Ideas?

Do you like homemade gifts or do you prefer store-bought?








1 comment:

  1. This looks fun...but I have an angry face! Maybe just a few natural ingredients like this wouldn't make it too angry.

    I like your sunscreen soap box. I need to jump on my own. I'm dealing with multiple sessions with a dermatologist to remove a bunch of potential "problems" because I was dumb when I was young. Ouch and boo!!!

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground