Free Photo Editing: My Favorite Tools

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Another Christmas come and gone. It's hard to believe how quickly it all passes.
We had a great time in the NE with my family. There was food aplenty, laughs, hugs, (Italian) Christmas carols, and gorgeous lights. {I think Texans could learn a few things about gorgeous holiday decorations from the Northeasterners. Wow. So beautiful.}
But I can't show you any of my pictures today because my phone is acting funny and won't let me upload anything.  (Ugh) After wrestling with said gadget for {far} too long, I'm taking the high road and opting for plan B...

**********

This post is quite a departure. Photo editing is rather new and uncharted territory. I'm learning as I go. I am a novice, not an expert. These are just my observations and limited experiences laid out in brief form. You have been warned.

I don't think I understood the power of a great photo until I began searching for post-college (re: cereal) recipes. (I wouldn't buy a cookbook if it didn't have full-color pictures of completed recipes.) Little-by-little I began to value a well edited photo, but doing it myself seemed too daunting...

That is until I heard about a great (free) photo editing site a few months ago called Picnik.  Updating my archaic phone has also aided the learning curve. Who knew how many helpful photo editing apps there were? (Ok, hush up all you cool kids). Since all my photos are currently being taken on my phone due to a dead camera, these tools have been lifesavers.

Just take a look at what these two FREE things can do...



***





***




***





***






***





***



***


***





***


***




***




***



***







Amazing how the same picture can look so different with just a few tweaks.
And if you're wondering...yes, that's me. A stylist/designer friend snapped these last week.

If you have Android phones (not sure if they have the app on an iPhone) but my favorite FREE photo editing app is called Little Photo. But for regular editing I can't say enough about Picnik. Seriously, use it. It's by far the easiest, free site I've seen (not that I've used a lot).  If I can use a site easily and get pretty decent results then I promise you can too.

I use these tools for the blog but also to edit family or special event photos. It's a stretch to even call me an amateur but I want to encourage those of you like me to give it a shot. Play around with the free stuff...you'll be surprised at how easy it is to transform photos.

 I wish I could be helpful and tell you how I layered effects and adjusted the exposure settings, contrast, etc. but I just played around. I experimented with all sorts of different combinations, effects, and layers to get different looks. I just wanted to show you a little of what's possible.

So go, play, and make your pictures even more unique and beautiful.
You can do it and it doesn't have to cost a thing.

*I did not receive any compensation from either site/app listed. These are 100% my opinions. I just wanted to pass along the info because I thought they might be helpful.*



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely Christmas. You look like a model!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Picnik! I pay to get all the extras because I use it all the time so it's worth it. Cheaper than getting PhotoShop! And you are absolutely beautiful! I mean you can not take a bad picture :)

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground