Cookie Swap

Monday, December 12, 2011

I'm not gonna lie...I agonized over what to make for this:

The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap

agonized I say.

Do I go w/ tried-and-true?
Do I try something new?
What about coming up w a Christmas-worthy recipe too?

Oh the decisions.

I'm being a bit melodramatic but the truth is homegirl is an overachiever...from the word go. Seriously. I can't help myself.
I wanted my cookies to speak loudly about the things I cherish about the holidays...warmth, love, friendship, joy, excitement; comfort.

Eventually (maybe foolishly) I decided to adapt/whip up my own recipe.

I call them smookies (clearly too much brain-power on the baking...not enough on the title).
You've likely seen variations of these s'mores-inspired treats but I think mine are pretty dandy. Primarily because:

1. I don't like s'mores but I like my cookies.
2. I didn't want burnt marshmallow taste but I did want all that creamy marshmallow flavor.
3. I used Biscoff spread to help accentuate the delicious graham-crackery-ness (too many hyphens?) of the dough
4. Ghiradelli chocolate chips...need I say more.

It's definitely still a work-in-progress (figuring out the delicate marshmallow creme to chocolate ratio is an artform).  A few suggestions for eating:

1. Consume with a festive warm beverage (hot cocoa, tea, coffee, etc...ohhhh - takes it to a whole other level.
2. Dunk in said festive beverage.
3. Dunk in milk.
4. Dunk in pretty much anything.

-----

SMOOKIES
Dough recipe adapted from Bakers Royale
Marshmallow creme recipe adapted from What'sCookingAmerica
Makes approximately 2 dozen cookies

Dough

  • ½ cup butter, softened but still cool
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup confectioner sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups flour
  •  1 Tbsp Biscoff spread


  • Filling
    • Marshmallow creme (yes, I made my own. You can buy the stuff in a jar or use the recipe below)
    • Ghiradelli chocolate chips (I used milk but any would be delicious)
    {Marshmallow creme}
    Yield: A LOT. (I cut the recipe in half and still had waaaay too much for my needs.)
    • 1.5 egg whites, room temp
    • 1 cup light corn syrup
    • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
    • 1 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
    • 1/2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
    1. In a large bowl of an electric mixer, add egg whites, corn syrup, and salt.
    2. Using your electric mixer on high speed, mix for approximately 5 minutes or until the mixture is thick and volume has almost doubled.
    3. On low speed, add powdered sugar and mix until well blended. Add vanilla extract just until incorporated.
    4. Use immediately, or refrigerate in a covered container for up to 2 weeks.

    Drizzle Finish
    • milk and white chocolate, melted
    • chocolate sprinkles
    Instructions
    1. Cream butter, brown sugar and confectioner sugar until light in color and fluffy (do NOT overbeat). In a separate bowl lightly beat egg, vanilla, baking soda and salt. Add egg mixture to creamed butter mixture and mix to combine. Slowly add in flour and mix on low until dough forms a ball. Add 1-2 Tbsp Biscoff spread and mix until just swirled. Chill dough for at least 45 minutes.
    2. While the dough is chilling, make marshmallow creme.
    3. To assemble: Scoop out approximately 1 tablespoon of dough and flatten it using 2 pieces of wax paper and a rolling pin. Then scoop out one heaping teaspoon of marshmallow filling and place it in the center of flatten dough. Add chocolate chips. Bring the edges of the dough to the center press dough together so that it seals the filling in. Place dough-stuffed cookies seam-side down on parchment lined bake sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for about 10-12 minutes or until edges start to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and allow cookies to rest on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
    4. Using a mini whisk or spoon or fork, finish cookies with chocolate drizzle and/or roll them in chocolate sprinkles. (Can be stored at room temp in a sealed container).















    I have to say, this was SO much fun! I loved every last minute {ok, mostly the eating}.  If you're interested in reading more about this year's event or signing up for next year's click here for more info.

    Also, I wanted to give a BIG thank you to the three lovely ladies who sent me cookies! Each batch was so scrumptious!!

    Kelly from Simply Kelly Anne made Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies
    Jamie from J-Fit made Cookies and Cream Cookies
    Jess from A Taste of Confidence made Chocolate Chip Cookies with Oatmeal Flour

    If you're interested in who my matches were take a look at these three sweet gals.
    So fun. Yay Cookie Swap 2011!!

    Caitlin at Cait Plus Ate
    Sarah at Both Sides Now

    Thanks again everyone!!














    8 comments:

    1. Mmm. Those look delicious!

      I can't wait til next year! Only one of my matches sent me cookies, though :(

      ReplyDelete
    2. Please hold while I wipe the drool off my keyboard. Those look absolutely delicious!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Wow - these look amazing... so amazing I had to pin them to Pinterest under my "Recipes to Try" board! I can't wait to try a batch!

      ReplyDelete
    4. smookies--hehe. :) I also don't really like s'mores but your cookies look fabulous. The drizzle makes them look professional!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Thanks everyone! And Jess...I'm so sorry!! I'll make you some and send them your way. (Can I admit I was afraid of this happening to me?)

      ReplyDelete
    6. Funny - we both sent cookies to Sarah of Both Sides Now! Thanks again for these cookies, they were fantastic and those I shared them with loved them too!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Um, yeah and both your cookies were slammin'! (My husband DEVOURED these s'mores ones and I only got two. That stinker.) I just went out and bought biscoff spread, thanks to you. :) Thanks again for the fun cookies!

      ReplyDelete

    Write away. I love hearing from you.

    Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground