your tastebuds are going to love me

Saturday, October 8, 2011

If you've been around these parts much (totally felt southern saying typing that,) you know that sister loves to bake. I dance in the kitchen to the sound of bird songs and sweet smell of pastries.

David asked for more pumpkin goodies this week and who am I to squelch a man's dreams?  Plus, as he so candidly pointed out, this is the only time of year when it's OK to eat pumpkin with almost every meal. Silly man, you don't have to twist my arm to don an apron.

I broke out another one of Grandma's recipes today. The woman knows her stuff and I am but a humble baking servant.

This recipe makes a delicious pumpkin blondie. The cream cheese frosting is the supporting actor...so good, so right...but not the star.  Nope, that's our boy pumpkin. You can eat it for dessert or breakfast too (oh yes we did.) And, as if you needed another perk, it will leave your house/apt/dwelling smelling desperately autumnal. It's a beautiful thing for all senses.

Now, before you dive-in, I need to make a small disclaimer: Grandma wrote this recipe. Her directions were vague, at best, because she's grandma and knows what she knows.  I am not grandma...although my deep love of Murder, She Wrote may fool you...but indeed I am not.  This one needs a little tweaking. I thought the blondies were pretty dense so I probably need to go back and study a little from good ol' Alton Brown as to the secret texture how-to. I'm guessing it has to do with mixing the ingredients (gma just said "mix them all together" and pour in baking dish... Really gma?)


Frosted Pumpkin Blondies
Yields: 24 servings
Prep-Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35-40 minutes

       *Blondies*
  • 4 eggs, beaten (I used organic cage free eggs)
  • 1 c vegetable oil (I used olive oil instead)
  • 1 c pumpkin
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 c granulated sugar (I was out of raw)
  • 2 c all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt (I used kosher)
  • dash of pumpkin pie spice
Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Combine all wet ingredients and mix on low until thoroughly incorporated. In a separate bowl combine all dry ingredients and slowly add to the wet ingredients. Mix together on low-medium speed until thoroughly incorporated. Pour into a greased (I used Pam w/ olive oil) 9x13 pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. *A note: I put foil on mine after about 20-25 min to prevent extra browning on top while the cake was still baking.* Remove and let cool completely before serving.






        *Frosting*
  • 3oz cream cheese, softened (I used low-fat)
  • 2 c powdered sugar
  • 6 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 3-6 tsp milk (I used organic skim) - may need more depending on the consistency you prefer *I used 6*
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Mix together and spread over warm (NOT hot) pumpkin cake.  Top with chopped nuts if desired. (I sprinkled a tiny bit of cinnamon on top.)

You can also add 1 cup nuts to the cake if you are a nut person. David didn't want nuts in the cake but we decided to add 1/2 cup of walnuts on top. 







Pumpkin Blondie Goodness


















10 comments:

  1. drooling over these!! emailing you later today re: guest post... if you're up for doing a recipe post, that would be amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! This would be a great treat to bring into work.

    We've been trying to squeeze pumpkin and squash into almost every meal lately! I've got a homemade pumpkin ravioli, roasted butternut squash soup, and stuffed acorn squash recipes all in the works.

    I love fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need one of those NOW! :-) I like your idea of eating them for breakfast...or anytime. I am a new follower from Tatertots and Jello. Vicky from www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I can't wait to try this recipe. Pumpkin anything is beautiful in my book. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Just popped in from The Kurtz Corner ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yummmm! These look amazing! Will have to make these soon! Love all things pumpkin! Thanks for sharing!
    Stephanie @ Ladywiththeredrocker.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. ummm YUM! I think Katie and I will need to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so yummy! I'll have to try them :)

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground