What I'm Reading

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Books + me = love affair.
True story.

I can't get enough of the written word and am constantly re-reading favorites or looking for new books to challenge, entertain, or teach. During my undergraduate and graduate years this affection had to smolder for a while, like hot ashes beneath a dwindling fire.  I was reading then, but the material was forced upon me and, more often than not, left an unpalatable taste in my mouth.  I still loved books but so closely associated them with work that I stopped enjoying the process.
Sad times.

Now that I'm no longer working I've been fortunate enough to indulge this old passion.  I honestly can't even remember how many books I've read since June.  It seems I never have just one book going...apparently I'm making up for lost time.

Here's a list of books I've read over the past week (either fully completed, currently reading, or freshly started):


 I Do Again: How We Found a Second Chance at Our Marriage--and You Can Toosource

This book tells the story of healing, restoration, and reconciliation.  It's a powerful tale of God's healing and power in marriage and (neat fact) was written by a couple from my church, the Scruggs.

FINISHED.



Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates source

I love history and have always been fascinated by pirating. I bought this book because I heard it was historically accurate and interestingly written. Really enjoying it so far.


READING



There's Treasure Everywhere--A Calvin and Hobbes Collectionsource

Calvin and Hobbes, my dear old pals. These guys have been with me since I was a little girl and just keep getting better with age. I read them almost every night before bedtime.  LOVE them.

READING.





What are you reading right now?
Books, magazines; take-out menus?
I love hearing what you enjoy.






6 comments:

  1. I love reading. Growing up, my best friends were the ones I had in books. Since college, I haven't had much time to read.

    The last thing I read was Persuasion by Jane Austen (for the 100th time). I love, love that novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!!! Persuasion is my ALL-TIME Jane Austen fav. I absolutely LOVE it!!! Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading right now an old favorite from high school
    Shiva's Fire its EXCELLENT I always enjoy it :)
    also reading The Powers of a praying wife
    and yada yada prayer group book 2 (waiting for it to arrive) I'm also a BIG Reader lol I LOVE books and cannot seem to get enough and I just cna't bring myself to get a kindle or nook its not the same as holding a book in your hands!

    Also going to reread a Debbie Macomber favorite, Hannah's List

    speaking of pirating though, have you ever heard of the book Grania? by Morgna Lleywn (I totally spelled her last name wrong lol) its about the Irish Pirate and is an EXCELLENT book! I really reccomend it! The way the woman write about Ireland has me dreaming about it and listening to Irish music for days after :)

    also getting ready to pull out another favorite (I always seem to read it when its cold out lol) its called Casting Off, also about Ireland, and knitting very interesting and very good!

    do you have any books you read at certain times of year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for stopping by my blog & your sweet comments!!! we love our new car and any chance to visit the good 'ol Bluegrass State- it is truly beautiful!

    What I'm reading right now? "Son of Neptune" by Rick Riordan- haha- i love fiction and my husband got me into the Percy Jackson series (but I enjoyed Greek mythology in school) and I'm also reading "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp- wonderful book, and her blog is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie - I haven't heard of any of these but I'll definitely check them out...thanks!

    Jamie - I keep hearing about One Thousand Gifts. I guess I should put it on my read-list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right now I'm reading "In Christ Alone" by Sinclair Ferguson and it's totally blowing me up!
    Last novel I read was "House Rules" by Jodi Picoult- a murder mystery centered around a boy with autism. I wasn't convinced I'd like Picoult books but this is the 2nd one Natalie has leant me and it was pretty good!

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground