Tag You're It: My First Award

Friday, October 28, 2011

I'm taking a short intermission from my NYC trip re-cap today to share my first blog award w/ you. If you're dyyyyying to know what happened on our last day though, don't worry, I'll be back tomorrow with the final post.

If you're not reading Erin's blog at His and Hers then you should now. She's hysterical, real, and super sweet. Erin (a teacher) and her husband Rick (a pharmacist) are renovating their gorgeous 100+ year old house one room at a time. Can you say dream?

I was so excited this morning to see she passed along this award to ME {my first}




Ok, truth be told I'm not sure what the rules are. I think I pass it along to 7 other bloggers?
Yes, no? I don't know.
I'll do my best. Here are some of my favorite blogs that (I don't think) have received this award...if you have I'm sorry.


Kathleen @ The Daily Crumb
Sweet, genuine, and honest, Kathleen's blog is full of things I love to read about: family, food, fitness, love, life, and travel.
Vanessa lives in Germany with her Texan husband (so much to like already). She's super sweet and her blog is full of budget-friendly creative ideas for house and home.
Amanda @ Theologigal
Amanda is a close personal friend and a terrific writer and thinker. If you're interested in deeper ponderings on life and faith then I cannot recommend her blog enough. It's blow-your-mind kinda stuff.
Jessica @ O.Alouette
Jessica's adorable blog is full of terrific inspiration, ideas, and crafts for your home. Just last week she posted a recipe for sopapilla cheesecake (please oh, please try it).

 

-     -    -    -    -    -


Now for 7 random or little-known facts about me. Oh boy.

1. I rarely listen to the radio/music.  I used to drive ALOT so you'd think with all the time I spent on the road that I'd have a Pandora station or music list to help dispel the road rage. In reality though I spent 90% of my drive-time in total silence. It was a brief, but much needed, reprieve from the busyness, noise, and clamour of the day - just me and my thoughts. I still do it now though because 1) most radio stations annoy me after a while and 2) nothing calms me like being able to process my thoughts/pray/etc in the quiet of a car. I know some people get nervous without music or noise but it bothers me naught. Little disclaimer: Music is still great though. 

2. I kinda hate the color red.  Ok, before you stone me let me just say that I can appreciate how it looks in other people's decor and/or in clothing etc. Red isn't a bad color; it just makes me feel weird. Like if I had a house full of red, it wouldn't feel like me. I don't dislike it in other people's homes or feel uncomfortable there, but it's just not a color I want to be surrounded by in my home or closet. Does that make sense or am I a total weirdo? I don't know why this is...my mom's home is cozy and lovely and full of warm reds, ochres, browns, and golds...I love it there...but when I think about my home I'm always drawn toward cooler colors. Beats me.

3. I have a major case of the wanderlusts. Seriously what a great word..."wanderlusts". I've been kind of obsessed with traveling as long as I can remember. My first flight was when I was 6 months old and my first solo-flight was at 4-5 years old (TX to OH). I love flying {which is strange b/c of my insane fear of heights}, I love the adventure of exploring a new place and learning new things {which is funny b/c I'm NOT an adventurous kinda gal}; I love that traveling forces you to push and test yourself in new ways. Most of all I love experiencing the history, culture, and on-the-ground experience of new places. It forces me to see beyond my little world and makes me wrestle with preconceived notions I've held (maybe without realizing) about other places, cultures, people, and yes, even myself.

4. I've experienced lots of heartache.  Debbie Downer here, but it's true. It's easy to only talk about the good parts of your life (or even present them in a way that makes them seem better than they are) but I want to be real and honest. My life isn't perfect.  I've suffered abuse at the hands of others (not parents/family fyi), heartache from the tragic loss of close family members, dark trials in my marriage; and [perhaps most painfully] faced the reality of my own brokenness. I have wounded people I loved deeply, behaved in ways I never thought possible, and lied to myself more than anyone ever has. I see my constant and ever-present need for grace, mercy; forgiveness and pray to be able to extend the same to others when they need it. At the end of the day, I know my heart; I'm full of self-righteousness, judgment, and hard-heartedness. It's ugly people.  
"But God {emphasis mine}, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ— by grace you have been saved"
Ephesians 2:4-5

5. I use an electric toothbrush. I will NEVER go back. NEVER.

6. I grew up poor.  Boy I'm up-and-down here...haha.
I lived in a trailer house on a little gravel alley for the first 8 years of my life. During the cold months I would yank the blanket off my bed and make a little tent over the floor vents (anyone know what I'm talking about?). Sometimes I'd wake up with metal lines on my body from where I fell asleep over the grate. My mom would freak out when she'd find me in the morning (I think she was afraid of me catching fire or something...I dunno). When I was 8 we moved into an OLD house that was bigger than our little trailer but had NO central heat/air and NO insulation. I lived here until I moved off to college. In the winter I'd sleep under layers of covers with an electric blanket and my letter jacket. The overhead light in my room never worked (we had no idea why) and I only had one usable outlet, so I had to use a big flashlight as my "overhead" lighting.
They were hard times yes, but I am so grateful for that season of my life. It's shaped me in powerful ways and showed me that there are far worse things than not having much (materially). We were rich in many ways: We always had parents that (though divorced) did their best to provide and care for us in incredible ways.  We always had food to eat. It may not have been what I wanted...but our tummy's were full. But most importantly, we always had love. Always.

7. I hate roller coasters. Passionately. Epically. I will weep. I will wail. Do not make me get on one. When I was in high school I challenged myself to ride every "major" ride at Six Flags. I did it knowing full well I'd never like them, but everyone else liked them and I didn't want to be left out. The results were as predicted. Hated them. Then a few years ago Ania, David, and I went back to Six Flags. They both love roller coasters and talked me into getting onto a new kind of ride (the one where your feet dangle). Ania and I both were in tears by the first turn and the water-works didn't stop for me even after we were off the ride. I'm a sissy and a land-lover.

Surprised? Relate?
I wanna know.











4 comments:

  1. Aww Faith, you are MOST welcome for your award...you were the first person that came to mind when I was thinking of who to pass it on to. :)

    My parents called me a "heat hog" because I'd sit on the vents whenever the heat would come on. And red is the least represented color in my wardrobe. This makes celebrating national patriotic holidays difficult.

    Your honesty is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the props, Faith! I really appreciate it. :)

    Also, I kinda hate the color red the same way you do— I don't want to wear it or decorate with it but I think it looks so pretty at anyone else's house! I think because it's such an attention-grabbing color and I'm not one for wanting lots of attention. I also share your wanderlustiness too (Is that a word? It should be.)

    Loved your honesty in this post and what a beautiful person God has made you inside and out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the well-deserved award! I was excited to see that Erin had passed it on to you.

    I'm with you on the color red! I feel like it's the meanest color and I just want it to chill out.

    Thanks for sharing that verse! I love it, what a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for saying such sweet things about my blog!! And sorry this is a little late - I just now saw this post :)
    I always enjoy reading little known facts. I totally understand growing up poor - I lived in student housing apartments with my parents until I was in 5th grade. Tough times but definitely makes me more appreciative today.

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground