Nightmares

Thursday, October 6, 2011

I woke with a start this morning. I think I must have thrashed violently.  It took a few minutes before awareness beat back the haze. I was drenched in sweat (literally beading and dripping down my back), trembling from head to toe, and sobbing. 
Fun way to kick-off the day.

I had a nightmare, a terrible, terrible nightmare. I'm not a person who remembers her dreams very often...and after this morning I'm glad.
Sheesh, what lurks back there?

I dreamed I was trapped in the woods by a giant yellow spider. It had spun my car in it's web so I couldn't drive out. All I had to protect myself from this fiend was a plastic lawn chair (which I was standing on) and as many sticks as I could dig out from under the fallen leaves (apparently it was also fall).

Sounds mild typing it out. And perhaps it was, but I was TERRIFIED this morning. I hate spiders anyway. They give me the heebie jeebies, but dreaming about a bright yellow giant one who wanted me on it's dinner plate, well, it was too much friends, too much. Gives me the shivers even now.

It took about 30 minutes to recuperate this morning, but afterwards I managed to make it through the rest of the day unscathed by this REM cycle malfunction. 
That is....until just a few minutes ago.

Imagine if you will calm, sweet little Faith sitting on the sofa with a small throw over her lap. She is catching up on some emails, blog reading, etc. Suddenly, however, the serene picture changes. She sees (that was just a shadow) then feels (psychosomatic?) something scurry across her arm. She stops and looks down. No, it's just her imagination...maybe the breeze from the ceiling fan tickled her arm. Back to work. BUT then it happens again, she looks down, adjusts the blanket...what's that? Movement? No! She holds her breath, unfolds a flap in the blanket and reveals {hold your breath}.....A SPIDER!!! 
What happens next is better left unsaid. 
You might picture jumping, loud noises, textiles falling (or being thrown) to the ground.
Perhaps something similar to this...



Love that Lucy!

I'm not sure what happened to Mr. Spider, but I hope he's dead...smashed into a million pieces.
I apologize if my grizzly display of violence offends anyone.  I realize some of you may have more tender hearts than I. 
Bless you.

I hadn't seen a spider in...well, I don't even know how long. It's been a while.
But after today I hope it stays that way.


Do you remember your dreams? Are you glad or do you wish it was another way?




3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Nightmares are the worst. :/ Waking up in a sweat is the worst, too. (Can 2 things be "the worst?" They are now, I guess.) I sometimes remember my dreams vividly, and other times I can remember that I WAS dreaming but I can't remember what I was dreaming about. How freaky is it that you saw a spider today, too?!

    Oh, and since I try to be positive but said WORST a lot in this comment, I'll end by saying that I Love Lucy is the BEST. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spiders are so much worse down here in Texas than they were up in Indiana. Bigger, meaner, creepier.

    I usually remember that I was dreaming and sometimes remember the setting, but not usually what I'm dreaming about (ie, this morning I was dreaming about something on the main street in my hometown, no idea what though).

    The worst for me is trying to scream (in my dream) and not being able to. It feels like there's an elephant sitting on my chest and duct tape on my mouth. Scares the shibbidy-dibits out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a nightmare last night too!!!!! It was SO scary. Mine was about 3 crazy guys chasing me. It was one of those dreams where you keep trying to run away but you keep falling. It was awful. Those are the times I wish I didn't live alone!
    I proclaim beautiful dreams for the 2 of us tonight!!! Of new shoes, dark chocolate and fall weather. :)

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground