My Hair Routine

Monday, October 10, 2011

Well, I'd say the goals I set for last week weren't a total bust. This week I'm planning on posting the ideas I didn't get to so it's going to be a BUSY week. I've also got a bunch of other events, projects, and personal things happening this week so I hope you'll be patient with me. Lots of good stuff coming up!

In the meantime, today we tackle the hair-related post.

I'm going to be frank...this wasn't well thought out. I don't have any great tips for you. I'm actually pretty no-fuss when it comes to hair/make-up so don't expect to be wowed.

Here's my hair routine:
  • Wash (every day to every 2 days...I try not to overwash as this is bad for curly hair, but if I'm nasty from the gym sorry, I'm sudsing up)
  • Towel dry (just to get most of the drippy water out)
  • Mousse (I use Suave Captivating Curls - it doesn't make my hair crunchy and for ALL of my hair I only have to use about a one palm full)
  • Air dry
  • On days I don't wash, I use a squirt bottle to spritz the curls to regain their shape and bounce. That squirt bottle is the best tool I own. Ghetto fabulous.
The end.

I don't diffuse (or very rarely).
I don't straighten.
I'm lazy (and I take grainy pictures).







When, however, I get my hair cut (or trimmed as it were...I'm growing it out for Locks of Love again), my stylist blows it out straight. It takes her and an assistant working side-by-side to wrangle the mass of hair atop my head...but they get it done. (Just another reason why I won't/can't straighten my own hair. If the professionals need help...)

I actually took these pictures before the curly ones.  And I'll be honest - I took them the morning after my hair cut (hence the jammies). Yep, this is I-got-my-hair-cut-last-night-and-slept-on-it-then-took-pictures-first-thing-in-the-morning hair.  I DID, however, shower right after and then take the curly pics. Don't judge me. 
Funny to compare and see how much my hair "shrinks" when it's curly. 

 I love seeing it straight though because I feel like an entirely different person which is fun for a day or so.  (But the curls are me and I love them. I used to fight it but now I embrace it.)








I just realized that these photos look like I'm less than modestly dressed.

I was wearing pajamas and a tank top but I promise I'm fully clothed.
I am not a streaker.

Yikes.



7 comments:

  1. You have gorgeous hair! Mine is curly too, but when my stylist straightens it, she never makes it look that fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally know what you mean! I am very low maintenance with my curly hair (wash, towel dry, bumble and bumble curl creme, air dry). but when one of my curly-haired friends comes to visit we always straighten each other's hair (it's only like once a year since we live on opposite sides of the country) and I feel like a totally different person!
    www.saysskippy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want curly hair. We all want what we can't have, right? Love that you are doing Locks of Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have curly hair too. I've been doing the same routine for 12 years-- gel (Redken contouring lotion 08), flip head over, scrunch, diffuse, flip head back over, and style with hairspray. It takes me anywhere from 15-20 minutes to do my hair. I LOVE when my hair stylist blows out my hair. I feel like a completely different person, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the many gifts I got from my mother was her crazy curly hair. It went from wavy to suddenly curly in 7th grade and we've had a love hate relationship since then.

    I've always been a giant wad of mousse, diffuse until mostly dry, and go kinda girl. That is, until the day I lost my mind. I told my stylist I wanted to be really wild and go shoulder length and that I trusted her. Oops. I left the salon with a chin length bob.

    Never thought I'd miss my curls, but... I really dislike the awkward length my hair is now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faith! Your hair is gorgeous, both curly and straight. I have semi-curly hair (ringlets in the front, waves in the back--the diffuser helps even it out a little) so I can go straight or curly, but I rarely straighten it because of the time factor. At 6am, I just plain don't care what my hair looks like. Bring on the lazy ponytail. :P

    I totally get what you mean by the "feeling different for the day" thing--my stylist can work wonders with my hair to get it straight, and I love it, but it never looks the same when I try it. I think they have magical skills or something that they are given when they go to cosmetology school.

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground