Light Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins

Sunday, October 2, 2011


In order to combat the terrible breakfast woes I've decided to give myself something yummy to look forward to each morning. So each week I've picked one tasty breakfast ingredient/treat and planned my breakfasts accordingly.  I've done a week each of the following:
oatmeal
granola
eggs

and now...

MUFFINS

I found a recipe for these light strawberry cream cheese muffins at A Whisk and a Prayer and decided to give it a go today while David watched the Cowboys game (I'm not a big sports person but whoa...anyone see that? Terrible.)

I adapted the recipe some and would probably make a few other alterations if I make them again.
But...I'm excited to have a ready-made breakfast for the week and so is Dave.



Light Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins
Makes: 2 dozen
Prep-Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 25 min
  • 8oz fat-free cream cheese, softened
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1 large egg (I used organic, cage free eggs)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup milk (original calls for buttermilk but I used skim organic milk w/ a tsp lemon juice)
  • 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
Preheat oven to 350. Place cup liners in muffin tin.  Cream butter and cream cheese until well blended. Add sugar, beat until fluffy. Add vanilla, egg whites, and egg, beating until well incorporated. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir together lightly. With the mixer on low, slowly combine about 1/2 cup of flour mixture into batter. Make sure flour is thoroughly incorporated and then add a little of the milk. When milk is incorporated add more of the flour mixture. Alternate back and forth, beginning and ending with the flour mixture until no more remains. Gently fold in strawberries. Spoon batter evenly into liners. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.


 
Before baking



After baking



After taste-testing, I thought they were a little too tart/unsweet so I made a simple glaze to drizzle lightly on top. I didn't want them to be cupcake-sweet but I thought they needed a touch more sugar. You can leave this off depending on your preference.

Simple Glaze
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup organic skim milk
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
Whisk together. Drizzle lightly over muffins.






After glazing



Have you tried any new breakfast recipe lately?
What were the results?







1 comment:

  1. I'm a reluctant breakfast eater but my kids would be soooooo happy if I make these. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground