Grandma Skinner's Snickerdoodles with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Filling

Thursday, September 15, 2011

It finally feels like fall here in the Lone Star State. Can I get a witness?
I have been spending the day in complete autumnal bliss: candles lit, windows open, classical music, cozy blanket; hot tea. Nevermind that it's 74 degrees...this is like stepping into an icebox after enduring the hottest summer in Texas history.

I'm drinking it in without shame...so somebody pass the wassail.

Sweet David is too. He asked me to make a strudel the other night but the recipe I tried was new and resulted in a flaky but terrible tasting dessert. I was inspired by the fall temperatures though and decided to surprise my hunk with two of his favorite things: snickerdoodles and pumpkin.

Oh my, oh my. These are delicious.




Grandma Skinner's Snickerdoodles
Makes approx. 4 dozen
  • 1 cup Crisco (sorry Grands) butter, softened
  • 1 and 1/2 c sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla (I use Mexican vanilla but any kind will work)
  • 2 and 3/4 c flour
  • 2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp cinnamon and 3 tsp white sugar  (can be brown) for rolling
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix thoroughly. Stir dry ingredients together in separate bowl and add to creamed mixture. Chill for 20-30 min. Roll into Tablespoon size balls and then toss in the cinnamon/sugar mixture, coating the dough evenly. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned but soft.





Pumpkin Cream Cheese
Makes approx. 1 & 1/2 cups
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened (OR 16oz for a thicker consistency if you prefer a dip/filling less squishy...very technical terminology)
  • 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin (you can also use 1/4 cup pumpkin for a thicker consistency.)
  • 1/4 c brown sugar
  • 1/8 c white sugar
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
Beat all ingredients in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Adjust sugar to taste (I prefer less sugar since the cookies are sweet.) Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

pumpkin cream cheese web
source


Remove from fridge, spoon about 1 tsp of cream cheese onto the flat side of the cookie. Press another cookie onto the cream cheese to make a sandwich. I still prefer to dip...or gobble them up plain...but David is a sandwich man.




I could eat all 4 dozen of these cookies no problem.
They are to. die. for.

Make these. Send them to your friends. Take them to the office.
You can thank me later for the accolades you'll receive. Or my grandma. She'd like that too.


**********************


WORKOUT TIME
(You didn't really think I'd hand you that recipe and NOT talk about how to work it off?)

Your abs are about to cry with joy.
YOU may cry tears of pain...but your abs, oh no, they're gonna love me.

This ab circuit from the TIU girls is awesome! Do it 4 times a week and (with a sensible diet) you WILL see results.
It's a fact.

Stop staring at me.
Get on the floor and click "play".
You won't regret it.






I linked up at:
                      Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party! thecreativepaige.com









21 comments:

  1. um. Snickerdoodles and pumpkin cream cheese? Yes please. Those sound amazing.

    And I think it's so funny that 84 feels like fall. Just shows how much you get used to in your particular neck of the woods! 84 is our average summer temp up here in what is currently a 55 degree NY. I had to wear a sweater this morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I just realized that was a typo...74 degrees today...not 84. Still a far cry from 55 degree sweater weather. We'll get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That recipe sounds amazing! I have not made snickerdoodles before so maybe I should give it a try!

    I appreciate your fitness tips too. I am trying (slowly but surely!) to get fitter so appreciate any advice!

    Please pop by and visit my blog if you have time. I am hosting my weekly Pinterest Party and would love it if you could link up this post!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cookies look amazing!

    Two of my favorites...I may have to try it out this weekend!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could you not click for a closer look? I could smell them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh those are definitely going to be made this weekend. I will be right with you in those ab workouts soon. I just had my appendix removed and am dreading getting back to the ab workouts:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came across your blog on Tatertots & Jello and I love your post!

    I would love it if you would drop by Jane Deere and link up to Fusion Fridays with your favorite or most recent recipes, handmade crafts, diy projects, tips & tricks, and how to's! { open through Wednesday! }

    http://janedeereblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look super yummy...I'd love for you to link up to my new linky party -

    Creative Genius @ http://www.thecreativepaige.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a creative little recipe! I must give it a try. I must give that ab exercise a try too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Oh thank you, oh thank you!!! I live in Australia. I have always wondered what snikerdoodles tasted like. I am so going to make your recipe - I don't care if it is spring here! And double thank you for the workout vid at the end :) - I can feel a wee bit less guilty now! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seaweed and Raine - So glad you'll get to try these! They are a great anytime cookie i my opinion. :) Enjoy and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made these and posted them on my blog today! They were yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As soon as I find canned pumpkin in Mexico, I'm making these! Thanks for linking up to the Creative Genius Link Party! I'd love to see you link up again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW these cookies sound amazing. Two of my faves...snickerdoodles and PUMPKIN. Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So trying those cookies.

    New follower!~!

    Tab
    My-cliffnotes.blogspot.fom

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made the dough last night! It tasted amazing. I can't wait to bake them tonight for the cookie exchange on Saturday. Your recipe has saved me. It is the third one this week, and this is the winning recipe. I will write back tomorrow to let you know how they came out :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay!!! I hope they turn out awesome! Thanks for writing. Can't wait to hear back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made them, but they turned out completely flat, like they "melted" rather than baked. What did I do wrong??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like maybe your butter was too soft. I make mine w butter that's soft enough to dint w a finger slightly but not soft/smushy like you'd put on toast (ie, room temp). It's hard to say though but that would be my first guess. Hope it helps some!

      Delete
  19. I made them, but they turned out flat, almost like they had "melted" rather than baked. What did I do wrong??

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground