I Sneezed and Then I Screamed...

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Yes, you read that right.
Yesterday I was getting ready in the bathroom, sneezed...and then fell to my knees. Thankfully the brute strength of my arms caught me, but (since I never just sneeze once) I was nearly crippled after the succession of 3-6 sneezes (think I blacked out).

Why you ask? Well, I threw my back out. I'm 27.
Hello old age. I heard you were a dirty player but had no idea you were such a scoundrel.

As I type this I am lying on flat on the floor (upholstered items are too painful/soft) with an ice-pack under my lower back, rolled up sofa pillow under my neck, and laptop on my stomach.
comfy.

Speaking of comfort. I know it's not technically fall yet (tomorrow) but I made chicken soup for dinner the other night and it was sooooo good.  I felt all cozy and tingly and warm inside. Mmmm.
It's a very simple, no frills recipe, but given the fact that I was still feeling a little sick it was exactly what I wanted. It's a great base recipe to spice up or tweak to make it a little more special.  It's perfect for the crock-pot too.

Homemade Chicken Soup
Yields 8-10 servings
Prep-time: 10-15 min
Cook time: 4-6 hours, can be less if you increase the heat
  • 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2-3 medium sized carrots, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 4 organic boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
  • 1.5 c water (to start)
  • 1.5 c organic, low sodium chicken stock (to start)
In a large stockpot cook the onions in the olive oil on med-high heat until transparent. Add the carrots and celery and cook until tender (you wanna get all those great veggie flavors out first). Add the chicken and wet ingredients (enough to just cover the veggies/chicken) and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally with lid on. *I took the lid off about 1/2 to 3/4 way through the cooking time. You may also want to add more water depending on how you like your broth.*  Salt and pepper to taste (it will likely need salt...but taste as you go so you don't overdo it.)  Remove any solids that float to the top with a slotted spoon or a strainer before serving.


Serve with warm rolls and a salad for a great veggie-packed meal.

I like a lot of pepper.


Cucumber, Romaine, and Carrot Salad



Sister Schubert's Rolls...Mmm




Enjoy!!





Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I hope you're recovered soon. :( That meal looks like it could help....right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chicken soup looks delish. Sorry about your back.

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground