Dinner and a Workout

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Last night I needed to make something quickly for dinner that could easily re-heat.  I had to leave for women's bible study before David got home, so I decided to make a super easy bison burger with sweet potato fries. Yes, you read that correctly...bison. 

For those of you worried or curious: Bison is very similar in taste to beef (which David likes) but is much more lean (which I like).  I've eaten bison burgers before but had never made them myself so I was excited to give it a go.

I baked the both the burgers and the fries in the oven as opposed to frying...the health reasons are obvious.  I could just as easily have grilled them but our propane grill is difficult for me to light by myself.  It's cantankerous...David singed his eyebrowns once and I've been afraid ever since.   I also added a sliced, organic red plum  for my "dessert".  It was an easy but satisfying 20-minute meal that worked perfectly for our busy night. 


Bison Burgers
Makes 4 burgers
 - 1lb ground organic bison
 - 1 Tbsp McCormick burger seasoning
*You can substitue your favorite burger seasoning here or just salt/pepper*

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using your hands, mix the ground bison and seasoning together in a medium sized bowl until thoroughly incorporated. Pressing the mixture evenly in the bottom of the bowl, score the meat lightly with your hand into quarters. Take each quarter and press into a patty placing them on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 15-25 minutes or until nicely browned.

raw bison patties waiting to be baked


Sweet Potato Fries
1 large sweet potato makes enough for 2 people.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet. After washing and drying your potato, cut into fry-size slices (I left the skins on for all the additional peely nutrition, but you can peel before-hand if you like). In a medium bowl add next three ingredients and toss the fries until lightly coated. Place evenly on the cookie sheet, making sure no potatoes overlap. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until browned as desired. *Make sure to turn over about half way through the baking time. The high sugar content in the sweet potatoes can make then burn easily so keep your eye on them.*

before the oven



It wasn't glamorous but it was quick and yummy.

I obviously added a thin slice of colby jack and some banana peppers to my burger. I don't do may, mustard, ketchup, or most other condiments...I'm finnicky, but you could add whatever you like.  David made his with fresh spinach (ah I wish I remembered it was in the fridge), sliced organic tomatoes, and mustard.

On an entirely random note: Do any of you scoop out the inside of your buns? I heard Jillian Michaels talk about it on The Biggest Loser once and have been doing it ever since.  I only buy 100% whole wheat bread products but I still do it to save on calories and unnecessary carbs.





I'm a weirdo.


                                                *********************************


Today's Workout

In accordance with the Tone It Up Fall Fitness Challenge, I'm doing at least 4 days of cardio and a minimum of  3 days of weights and/or circuits a week. I take at least one day off so this usually means most days have both.

I'm nursing a little bit of a knee injury (nothing major) and need to keep away from high impact stuff for a while so today's workout looked like this:

Cardio: 30 minutes bike

Arms/Shoulders/Chest:
  • bicep curl - 15x
  • overhead press - 15x
  • tricep extension - 15x
  • rear deltoid raise - 15x
  • 10 pushups w/ fly extension (whoa these are tough) - 10x
Do 3 sets.

Abs:
  • V-sits - 15x
  • waistline crunches - 15/side
  • 45 sec plank hold
  • squats w/ a cross crunch - 15x
Do 3 sets

Almost all of these exercises have been taken and swapped around from the TIU girls.  I've done so mainly because they are SOOO effective and have great tutorial videos.  The other night I made David do the Ab workout from the video below. He was dying...and my man is buff y'all.  What I especially loved about this video were the spiderwoman pushups.  Wow. They are great for toning and sculpting large muscle groups but also some hard-to-reach spots. Please try them. Just try.

And remember - it's supposed to be hard. If it was easy it wouldn't matter.





Disclaimer: my spellcheck isn't working today so if there are gross errors please forgive me.





Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground