Breakfast Triumph and DIY Detergents (I've Been a Busy Girl)

Monday, September 12, 2011

I went to Sprouts this weekend with David.  If you're not familiar with Sprouts it's a Farmer's Market with everything from natural/homeopathic medicine and supplements to organic meat and cheese.  They have it all!  I especially like their supply of healthy food and specialty items that aren't readily available in normal grocery stores. Sprouts is awesome.
Since I'm not working anymore I typically like to do my grocery shopping on Monday so as to avoid the crazy weekend-errand crowd, but being sick last week really threw us off kilter and we could NOT wait until Monday for groceries. I repeat NOT.

Have I mentioned David is terrible about eating breakfast too? He works in downtown Dallas so he has to leave early in the morning and hates having to stuff something in his mouth hurriedly before he runs out the door (because he slept until the last minute possible) or eat something when he first arrives at the dealership (I know allllllll about the coffee drip he has going, I don't know who he thinks he's fooling. 'I ate a banana' my foot!)

One of my favorite things about Sprouts is their help-yourself area with bins full of varieties of grains, beans, oats, granola, nuts, dried fruit, etc. It is a thing of beauty. We were able to scoop out some granola for our breakfasts in exactly the amount we wanted.  The granola D picked is delicious and will be perfect because he can put a little in a cup with a splash of milk and have a go-to breakfast for the car. 

I was also able to buy some Chia seeds! I've been hearing all about these tiny little things (I know...I initially thought ch-ch-ch-chia pet too.)  I'm not an expert but from what I've read they're:
  1. Good for the heart
  2. Help increase energy
  3. Aid in weight loss
  4. High in protein (around 20%)
  5. High in antioxidants
  6. High in fiber
  7. Aid in detoxification and elimination...ahem
  8. Anti-inflammatory
source

They had a pre-packaged 1lb. bag in another part of the store for $7.99 but I was reluctant to purchase it since I wasn't sure if I would like them and didn't want to waste the money.  I ended up scooping about 1 cup in my little baggy.  I got home tried them right away.

I mixed some of David's granola with about 1/2 cup organic skim milk and sprinkled chia seeds on the top. (I also ate a few before I sprinkled them just to see what they tasted like...very mild, almost floral taste...but in the granola I didn't even taste them.)


Enjoy the beauty that was my snack...and the extra-special plastic cup for presentation.
Glamorous. It's how I roll.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news I also made my own dishwashing liquid and laundry detergent this weekend (I also have a recipe for fabric softener.) Both were eco-friendly and so, so, so easy. Oh yes, Martha better watch her back. I haven't tried to laundry detergent yet but I ran two loads of dishes this weekend (hence the plastic cup above) and I was pleasantly surprised with how well it cleaned. Goodbye forever Cascade. I say good riddance to you and all your nasty chemical friends. The dish ran away with the spoon...and they're staying at my place. Mkay?


Dishwashing Liquid
  1. 1 cup Borax
  2. 1 cup white vinegar
  3. 1 cup baking soda
  4. 2 tsp lemon juice
Mix borax and baking soda. Add vinegar (*it will bubble and foam a bit at first...do not be alarmed*.) Add lemon juice. Mix together.  I store it in an old water bottle. Classy.
Use about 1-2 Tbsp per load. *Also, vinegar makes a great eco-friendly rinse aid for your dishwasher. No your dishes won't smell like it.*



 *I had just shaken it up.*




************

Laundry Detergent
  1. 1 cup Borax
  2. 1 bar Ivory soap (grated)
  3. 1 cup baking soda
Mix together and store in an air-tight container. Use about 1-2 Tbsp per load.


 




Happy Monday!
I'll be back later today with my workout and a simple but delicious (and nutritious) dinner recipe.


 I linked up at Home Stories A to Z
and Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party! thecreativepaige.com

2 comments:

  1. What if you can't use Ivory soap? Something in it breaks me out and gives me hives... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin - if you can't use Ivory soap try one of these: Fels-Naptha, Sunlight bar soap, Kirk’s Hardwater Castile, or Zote. Don’t use heavily perfumed soaps. You may have to dig around for them which is why I went with Ivory, but they should be available. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground