Pie Pops

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Yesterday we had dinner with some sweet friends.  They cooked a great meal and we brought dessert.  I wanted to find something easy AND delicious for our special dinner and ran across a recipe at Bakerella that I just had to try.  {If you don't know about Bakerella click here to see her fantastic blog.} 


Meet the pie pop
 {similar to a cake pop/ball only with pie...very astute this one}.  


Wanna know how to make 'em?

Here's what you'll need:



{Now I would certainly prefer to make my own filling and crust...but I didn't have time.}


Here's what you do:

use a circle cutter to create the pie disks.


place disks on an ungreased cookie sheet and push the lollipop stick into the dough.


place pie filling in center of each disk.


{so pretty}


place another disk on top
 use the end of a stick to seal the edges


brush tops with egg whites


bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes.



voila!


Beautiful little pie pops




Disclaimer:
This recipe is {big surprise} not clean, organic, or nutrient-packed. 
 {well, it IS clean...as in "no dirt"}

The key: careful moderation. 

Say it with me: "portion control".
Limit yourself to one of these bad boys and you will be able to stay on track with your fitness/health goals while indulging just a smidgen {the smidgen is the key sister...don't get carried away}.



If you care about these things {which some of you may not}, how would you tweak this recipe to be a healthier dessert?  I wanna see those cogs a'turning so let me know.
{Fun Food Challenge}


*Note:
- When making these again I'd use popsicle sticks instead of lollipop ones due to the weight of the pie. 
- I would also be careful of the thickness of the pie dough. Some of them cracked so if you don't want that then be sure to not roll the dough out very thin.*











Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!



SAS Interiors





The Lettered Cottage

8 comments:

  1. These are so cute and yummy looking! Now I'm hungry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, oh my gosh. that's equally as genius as a cake pop- which are my weakness. when we hang out (soon) can you please grace me with one? i would love you. forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm.. Those look delicious!! Thanks for the tute!
    I would love for you to link up to my first linky party! :) {nifty thrifty sunday}
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. you could keep the same crust but just mash real fruit up with a little sugar as a substitute for the pie filling. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. bah ha ha! i love to added "portion control" yeah right! ;) thanks for the tute! we would ♥ for you to link this up :)

    :)Lolly Jane
    lollyjaneboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday} and making my first party such a great success! I would love if you stopped by tomorrow and share more of your cute projects! :)
    xoxo,
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

    ReplyDelete
  7. I on will occasionally make a whole wheat pie crust with a little bit of raw sugar and if you replace the crisco with organic butter it makes a better-for-you crust...not the best, but better for you...
    and then just use fresh organic fruit with some raw sugar cooked on in a saucepan for about 10 min....
    but this version is also great in a pinch as a 'sometimes' food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would go with Kiera up there. The crust I make all the time is whole wheat pastry flour, butter and ice water. It's easy and yummy! For the fruit I'd probably use honey or maple syrup or rapadura/sucanat.

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground