Neglected Areas

Friday, March 25, 2011

Ignorance is no excuse but I'm still claiming it anyway. 

When I started working out regularly last year I had no clue what I was doing...and didn't really care.  It was a big enough deal to show up at the gym everyday.  Lately, however, I've been thinking a lot about my gym routine.  I'm not training for Miss Cut Body of North America or anything but I definitely want to grow more in my understanding of how to train my body well.  I'm not after a certain number on the scale or a certain size jean...I just want to be healthy.  I know, I know...it's cliche...but still true.

All this thinking led me to realize that there were major areas I was neglecting.  One example was my weight lifting routine.  I typically lift between 3-5 days a week but I wasn't thinking about what I was doing.  For example, "arm day" would typically look like this:
  • bicep curls
  • tricep kickbacks
  • hammer curls
Th-th-th-th-that's all folks.
{I have a degree in biology...there's no excuse for this.}
Pitiful.

What's more, I was ignoring other muscle groups entirely {"nice to meet you latissimus dorsi", "hello biceps femoris"}.  I was a muscle snob.  I had my favorites and completely forgot the rest. 

All that's changing now though.  Oh yes, and I'm loving it. 

Today was both a cardio and weight day.  Cardio was killer {per usual} but when I lifted I chose one of my previously forgotten muscle groups.  I snub no more. 

Here's what I did:

Zumba {cardio} 45 min
The class is usually one hour but I left early to get my weights in before I had to go. 

Weights {chest day}
yes ladies you need to work that out too mmmmkay?
  • Bench Press (dumbbell)
  • Push-Ups
  • Seated Chest Press Machine
  • Dumbbell flys


I'm now an equal opportunity exerciser.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground