My Grandma's Name is Eva...

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Eva Louise to be exact...and she's precious.  I know everyone says that about their grandma, but really, mine is amazing.  In 1996 she and my Grandpa, Billy, moved from their dream home/farm in Ohio to Houston TX in order to provide live-in care for her parents, particularly her mom, Louise, who had Parkinson's.  My great-grandma passed away in 1998 {if I remember correctly}but my grandparents decided to stay in Houston to be near great-grandpa and the rest of the family. 

front row (l to r): Grandma {Eva}, Great-Grandpa & Great-Grandma
back row (l to r): Grandpa {Billy} (if you're curious about the others they're Grandma's siblings and their spouses.)


{More recently}
Cass {step-mom}, Daddy, Me, Grandma, and Grandpa

{pitter patter <3}


A lot has changed since 1998.  Some of it good, some of it too painful to even begin...but when I got married in 2006 I was thrilled to have my sweet grandma pass down some of her family heirlooms.  I definitely inherited a love of old things...especially ones that have personal memories and stories attached to them.  And being the oldest of 7 grandkids and the first to get married,  Grandma's given me a lot over the years: the beautiful antique sofa in our bedroom and her Aunt Eva's china set and silver.  But there was one item, er...set of items, that I wasn't sure what to do with...until now. 

Yesterday I pulled out 4 old boxes.  I was so excited to dig in and look at these old treasures again. 




Box #1 was full of my great-grandma's crystal.  I'm not sure what you're feelings are about crystal...a few years ago mine weren't that great...but I'm totally converted now.  These antique crystal pieces are amazing {some aren't pictured here because I've already placed them around the house.}  I would probably love them on their own but knowing they were great-grandma's makes them especially dear to my heart. 






Boxes #2, 3, and 4 were full of old hankies, pillowcases, gloves, tablecloths, childrens clothes, lace, and other linens.  I've been wanting to find a way to display these for a long time...and finally have found the perfect spot: my office.  This room is full of inspiration and what better inspiration than to be surrounded by unique and personal family heirlooms.  Many of these pieces were made by my great-grandma and/or my grandma.  Others were gifts that they accumulated through the years. 




Here's about a tenth of what I actually have...just a few of my favorites.


 









My favorite piece though is one I've already framed.

Isn't she gorgeous?!  I died.


It was probably done by my great-grandma (need to confirm with Grands first) but it reminds me of this gorgeous picture taking of my Great-Grandparents back in the day. 

LOVE.


I can't wait to show you what I'm doing with the rest of them.  Maybe I'll post an office update later this week. 

More than anything beautiful I found in those old boxes though, was an overwhelming gratitude for my heritage.  It's a legacy rich in faithfulness, love, generosity, kindness, and {most importantly} a passionate affection for Christ.  While by-no-means perfect {or even close} my grandma has and continues to bless me with her love, encouragement, and unyielding loyalty.  She is a Proverbs 31 woman and my deepest prayer is to live a life that mirrors the example she's set. 

1 comment:

  1. that's just exciting. those are amazing. can't wait to see your inspired room.

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground