From Austria with Love

Thursday, March 17, 2011

While shopping for office furniture this weekend I happened upon a beautiful antique dining table.  I loved it at first sight {and even moreso when I saw it was in the clearance section} but David wasn't so sure.  We were there for office pieces and this was most certainly not an office piece.  Normally I'd agree to pass it up {I'm not an impulse buyer} but since we'd sold our kitchen table on Craigslist a few weeks ago and had moved our dining table into the kitchen, we had an empty dining room...the table was calling us me.

I was even more drawn to this beauty when I found out it was a solid mahogany table from Austria built in the 1870's.  Shut. Up.  It didn't take much convincing D after that and off she went to her new home.

Here's what she looked like when we got her into the garage.   

The Before:




She was worn, scuffed up, dusty, and pretty thirsty let me tell you.  But her solid mahogany, 1870 Austrian charm just begged to be revealed.  I initially thought we'd have to refinish her but the guy we store we bought her from recommended a great product {see below}. 


Here's the process:


This stuff *seller recommended* is amazing.  Buy it.




+



elbow grease and lots of love {following directions helps too}.
Do you see her beauty already shining through?

 gasp. The more I wipe the more I love!



=



 revitalized 1870's charm. 

I'm totally smitten.  We've restored her natural charm without taking away from her character.  I love that she's old, I dont want to hide it. 


She's now happily seated in our dining room.  Unfortunately the chairs that went with her were already sold.  Our next task {which I'm afraid is a big one} will be to find chairs that she will get along with nicely.  For the time being, however, I moved two of our kitchen table chairs into the dining room so D and I can eat on her. 
She's the only woman I know that likes being used. 

I'll post an update on her in her new home once we A.) finish the office and B.) find chairs.  It might be a while. 

Thank you God for mahogany, Austria, and antiques. 

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! In the first pic, it almost looked like it was painted red, but by the time you were done, you could see that gorgeous wood grain shining through. That is a beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous table! And that restore stuff seems to work wonders...I'll have to try it some time!

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground