Dreaming of Florida

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ok, I've actually never been to Florida but I hear it's nice this time of year...or any time really.   

On Super Bowl Sunday the weather finally allowed us to leave 3321, and boy were we glad.  We went over to some friends for a Super Bowl party and everyone brought a dish or two.  David asked me to make hot wings and a dessert. The hot wings were simple but I had no idea what I wanted to do for the sweet item...

Dessert is one of my favorite food categories, not just for eating but for cooking/baking too.  As I was thinking about what to make I quickly decided against anything heavy as I wanted something refreshing and light to help cut some of the heaviness of winter party food.  Then I found this dreamy recipe for Key Lime Pie (courtesy of Southern Living) and decided to try it out.  Unexpectedly it had fewer fat grams than the original while keeping all the creamy, tropical deliciousness.  It was really easy and really good. 

Key Lime Pie
  • 1 (14oz.) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
  • 3/4 cup egg substitute (I used Egg Beaters)
  • 1/2 cup fresh Key lime juice *Do not use bottled lime use. It doesn't compare to the fresh.  I used about 18 key limes to = 1/2 cup*
  • 1 reduced-fat, ready-made graham cracker crust (You can also make your own which is what I normally do, but for time and convenience sake this was a good option)
  • 1 (8oz) container fat-free Cool Whip (I would have preferred to make my own whipped cream but this was hubby's preference so I conceded, plus real whipped cream isn't fat-free)
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350. Whisk together first 3 ingredients until well blended. Pour mixture into pie crust; place pie on a baking sheet.
  2. Bake @ 350 for 17 minutes or until pie is set. Remove pie from baking sheet to wire rack and let pie cool completely (about 1 hr)
  3. Chill 3 to 24 hours.  Topped with whipped topping just before serving and garnish with fresh lime zest if desired.



Please ignore the left-over Christmas paper plate.  We're still trying to use them up.  Waste not, want not.







 
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking the other day about making a key lime pie- your recipe is super easy! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm.. This looks delicious!
    Thank you so much for linking this up to {nifty thrifty sunday} as well!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground