A Craigslist Re-Do

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

So my sweet friend Lindsey is the DIY Queen.  We recently co-hosted a shower at her cute casa and I was so inspired by all of her projects that I decided to try my hand at it. 

We have needed new nightstands...well, forever.  Here's a pic of our bedroom from October of 2008.  Our room has changed some since then but this is the only pic I could find of our old nightstands (and it's not a very good one at that).

{Oh, and just a teaser...a Master Bedroom make-over post is coming soon.  It's gonna be good!!!}


The nightstands in question were much lower that our bed height so it made reaching items somewhat problematic.  I can't tell you how many glasses of water I knocked over or broke.  (Bad news.)  Plus the tops had small square cut-outs through which many a small item passed.  They had no drawers or additional storage so our phone chargers and the mountain of books I keep beside my bed were always an eye-sore. I hated them but at least they were something, so they stayed until...

I found this hideous thing (and her twin sister) on Craigslist for about $30.  

I could see past her beyond-terrible color, drawer pulls, and finish.  There were good bones underneath just waiting to get out.  Remember that pile o' magazines I rummaged through during the snowpocalypse?  Well, this was one of my finds, and my inspiration piece. (Thank you Southern Living.)

Chest of Drawers After
source


This beautiful piece was created using pricey wall-paper and a custom paint color.  I wanted the same look but I wasn't about to go purchase a roll of expensive wall-paper just to do a few drawer fronts. No way Jose.  So I set out to my local Hobby Lobby and found some beautiful scrapbook paper (6 sheets @ 1.99/sheet), Mod Podge ($6.99) and a clear matte acrylic spray paint ($1.67).  Then I went to the Home Depot and bought my drawer pulls (4 @ $4.49/piece) and a can of white matte paint.  Easy breezy.

  1. First I sanded the nightstands...we had to get rough up that old, tired finish before we slapped a new coat on. We weren't trying to completely remove the old finish, just wanted to get it all scuffed up so our new paint would adhere and cover properly. 

drawers out

sandpaper flying


sandpaper close-up

2.  Next, I put two coats of white paint on the dresser and drawers alike.  I didn't worry about painting the whole face of the drawers however, because I knew they were gonna be covered with our paper treatment (they did get a good sand though). 


    3.  Next I used a long piece of paper to make a template of the door faces.  From this template (sorry, no pics of this step) I traced and cut out the appropriate size of my scrapbook paper.  Then I put a thick layer of Mod Podge on the back of the paper and adhered it to the drawer fronts.   


     4.  After the drawer fronts dried I applied a coat of Mod Podge to the entire drawer front as a sealer.  (Don't panic, it looks white and glue-y when you put it on but it dries clear).  Oh and pay no attention to my seam...the paper was too short to go the width of the drawer front so I put the seam in the center where it will be covered by the drawer pulls.  Imperfect is ok anyway. 


     5.  After completely dry I covered the whole piece in a coat of the clear acrylic spray paint to help reduce any tackiness from the paint or Mod Podge.  Afterwards I used a screw driver to carefully poke holes through the paper front (I went in through the back/inside drawer).  Then I attached these gorgeous yet simple pulls from Martha Stewart. 




The finished product!!!



 


*****



6 comments:

  1. LOVE these. I am so proud of you, Faithie! You're simply amazing. Keep these cute little tutorials comin!

    And I can't WAIT to see the master bedroom re-do!

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW love it. I want a set of these for my bedroom! Beeeautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, perfect! I love the pulls...and the paper!

    Best,
    Ashleigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this transformation...mod podge is fun o work with, thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really turned out so cute!!
    Thank you so much for stopping by and linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    I hope to see you again tomorrow!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground